Federated States Of Micronesia Assumes Leadership Of Pacific Island Development Forum Senior Officials Committee
The Ambassador of the Federated States of Micronesia to Fiji Ambassador Gerson Jackson has been appointed the 1st Chairman of the Senior Officials Committee of the Pacific Island Development.
He will be assisted by Fiji’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation permanent secretary Mr Amena Yauvoli.
Ambassador Jackson and Permanent Secretary Yauvoli were both elected to their positions during the meeting of the Senior Officials Committee at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation Headquarters at Nasese, Suva this morning. Attached is Ambassador Jackson’s CV.
The Senior Officials Committee is part of a four tier institutional framework for the PIDF. The supreme institutional organ in the PIDF is the Summit to which all PIDF institutions answer to. In between Summits the PIDF is managed by a Governing Council. At the operational level, the Senior Officials Committee provides high level oversight and support for the Council and co-ordinate the activities and business of the Secretariat. The Secretariat is the administrative body responsible for delivery of PIDF’s strategic themes.
The Senior Officials Committee (SOC) is structured in a way that: allows for strategic discussions among senior policymakers and expert-driven activities focused on key regional and thematic challenges; ensures it will remain a nimble, action-oriented, consultative forum that can evolve with the challenges of time; and complements the efforts of international, regional and sub-regional bodies in addressing the challenge.
Membership of the Committee comprise the following categories:
1.Government. This comprise two sub-categories:
a.Diplomatic representatives from those countries that were represented by their Heads of State/Government at the Inaugural Meeting and that are based in Suva; and
b.Senior Civil Servants from Fiji’s Foreign Affairs, Trade, Strategic Planning and Tourism Ministries;
2.Industry. Two Industry representatives with a Pacific presence and who are Suva based;
3.Non-Governmental Organization. Two representatives from civil society with a Pacific presence and who are based in Suva; and
4.Friends of the Chair. Members of the Special Committee that assisted in the organization of the Inaugural Meeting of
the PIDF who were collectively known as the Friends of the Chair (FOC).
The current Members of the SOC are as follows:
· Diplomatic representatives
· HE Gerson JACKSON Ambassador Federated State of Micronesia (Chair)
· HE Frederick MULLER, Ambassador Extraordinary & Plenipotentiary, Embassy of the Marshall Islands
· HE Reteta RIMON, High Commissioner Kiribati
· HE Jarden KEPHAS, High Commissioner Nauru
· HE Patterson OTI, High Commissioner Solomon Islands
· Mr Richard BALKONAN, Charge d’Affaires, Vanuatu High Commission.
· Senior Civil Servants
· Mr Pita WISE Permanent Secretary, Strategic Planning, National Development and Statistics
· Mr Shaheen ALI Permanent Secretary Industry and Trade
· Mr Amena YAUVOLI Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation (Vice Chair)
· Ms. Mereia VOLAVOLA, Chief Executive Officer, Pacific Islands Private Sector Organisation
· Ratu Ilisoni VUIDREKETI, Chief Executive Officer, South Pacific Tourism Organisation
3.Non-Governmental Organization representatives
· Mr Rex HOROI Director, Foundation of the Peoples of the South Pacific International
· Archbishop the Most Revd. Dr Winston HALAPUA, Anglican Church in Polynesia
4.Friends of the Chair
· Mrs Litia MAWI, Fiji’s Roving Ambassador/High Commissioner to Micronesia and Polynesia
· Ambassador Kaliopate TAVOLA, Fiji
· Mr Taholo KAMI, Regional Director, International Union for the Conservation of Nature
· Mr Feiloakitau Kaho TEVI, Program Coordinator, Leadership, Green Growth and Sustainability Initiative, International Union for the Conservation of Nature
· Mr Iosefa MAIAVA, Head, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, Pacific Office
· Ms. Fekitamoeloa ‘UTOIKAMANU, Deputy Director-General, Secretariat of the Pacific Community
· Professor Elisabeth HOLLAND, Director PaCE-SD, Professor of Climate Change, Pacific Centre for Environment and Sustainable Development University of the South Pacific
The Senior Officials Committee met in Suva this morning to discuss the further development of the PIDF. A major focus of the Committee will be to put in place the appropriate legal instruments to institutionalize the PIDF and its Secretariat.
Government this year granted diplomatic status to the PIDF Secretariat and work on the Secretariat Building is progressing well.